My mother is notoriously known for her baking. She can improvise, mimic and create all sorts of delicious baked goods. Well after the first cake I made in Taiwan, I somehow convinced my current roommates that I am skilled in the culinary art just like my mama smith and they have all requested I make them homemade cakes for their birthdays.
Building the cakes and designing them are 1/2 the fun (I'm sure you know the other 1/2). Too bad you can't taste them, but I'll give you my 9 judge's (roomies) verdicts on the recipes.
Susan's Carrot Cake: 1st Place
Erin's Banana Cake: 2nd Place
Sunny's Ice Cream Cake: 3rd Place
- Start at least one day before you need to serve the cake.
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer and allow to thaw for 20-30 minutes.
- Mix Vanilla ice cream with 4-5 Oreos. (1.5 quarts will fill a 9" cake pan).
- Line the round cake pan with plastic wrap. (chill the pan prior if possible)
- Fill the pan with softened ice cream
- Cover with plastic wrap, then foil. Place it in the freezer overnight to re-harden.
- Bake your favorite white cake recipe at least 6 hours before serving. The cake must be cool before proceeding.
- Assemble the cake by layering it above & below the ice cream with whip cream, chocolate syrup and bananas.
- Decorate quickly with whip cream, Oreos & chocolate syrup.
- Place in freezer for 3 hours so it can set.
- Remove from freezer 15-20 minutes before serving time.
Megan's White Layered Cake: 4th Place
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 4 egg whites
Sift the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add butter, milk and 1 tsp. vanilla & mix (batter will be thick). Beat for 2 minutes at medium speed. Then add the unbeaten egg whites and beat for 2 more minutes.
Divide batter among prepared pans. Bake at 350 F for 30-40 minutes. After cool, decorate with vanilla frosting and whip cream.