Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Cat's Out of the Bag

Someone out there leaked vital information: I will pretty much do anything! Or am I completely transparent to configure that it even happens cross-culturally?

It apparently didn't take the director of the school, Francis, too long to figure that one out.

For my first introduction to most of my student's parents, I was on stage acting like Francis' estranged Taiwanese twin sister. For this lucky opportunity to stun and awe the parents during the student's Chinese New Year program, I not only had apparent hygienic issues (ratted hair and lipstick practically to my ears) but I also appeared to be quite the airhead that feels inspired to express myself freely through spastic dancing.

Francis' envisioned plan for this scene of the program was to have the entire audience laughing hysterically at my expense. But I have to say, it's not too hard to get the Taiwanese giggling or flushed when I am just at a restaurant casually moving my head to a fun Chinese song. (If you understand the principle of 'losing face' in Asia, you'll understand that they never put themselves in these types of situations.)

I think there were some good laughs (I was too into the movement to keenly listen) so how about you be the judge.

Enjoy the pictures and videos:









If the parents went home questioning the credibility of their new son or daughter's English teacher... at least they could go home knowing their kids looked adorable.




No comments:

Post a Comment